Thursday, December 01, 2005

Mother Tongue - tied

A week ago, I was shopping at this store in Chicago. As usual I was just pulling out shirts one after the other and acting very choosy. By now, I have mastered the art of looking at the all-important price tag when nobody is looking and then changing my expression to disapproval with the occasional tch tch and placing the shirt carefully where it belonged. God forbid the sales rep accosts while you are going through this sacred routine and interjects with the oh-so-cliched " Is there anything I can help you with?" , "Anything particular you were looking for?". This is what I would describe as a spiritual dilemma. Of course I am not looking for anything particular. Well of course if you can find me something which looks like its worth fifty bucks and costs only twenty....... then we can talk. But otherwise I am just looking for the "sort-by price" button. Unfortunately this is not a website. So you just smile sheepishly and assure the rep that you are doing fine.

After a few runs of this routine, I had to think of other creative excuses. But like Calvin says "you can turn on creativity like a faucet". You need to be in the right mood which of course is "last minute panic". So while I was staring vacantly and singing to myself, a sales rep appeared out of nowhere to offer "assistance" and this time, I really had nothing to say to exonerate myself and found myself blurting out, "I am waiting for my friends". Thankfully, he swallowed the excuse without much ado and then the two of us got talking with the usual "where are you from", "how do you like chicago". I have absolutely no enthusiasm to reproduce the conversation here. But to help you fill in the gaps, I have a suggestion. Walk up to any coffee shop anywhere in the US and start talking about (what else?) the weather. Wait.... actually dont go anywhere. I dont trust you to return! So we had some innocuous conversation during which he casually complimented me on my good English( the first time that it has happened since , well.. hmm. hmm......... forget it!). I humbly replied that it was because we had most of our education in English.

That evening, we went across to this jazz club and while listening to some traditional jazz, I was turning over the conversation in my mind ( Why?? Well, obviously because that was the first time somebody had complimented me in , well, a long time). As time went by and the bluesy songs started playing, the spirit of self-congratulation slowly melted and I started realising that it was really nothing to be proud about. I recalled the several incidents when I tried to convey something other than abuses in Kannada and how miserably I had failed. I remembered how many times I had mercilessly switched channels whenever I saw the yin-yang symbol in the top right corner; only to stop this meandering when I reached MTV. I realised the damage the "English medium school" had caused.

I understand that writing this article itself is an expression of the apathy of the situation. This whole charade of trying to express our thoughts in what will always remain a foreign language is seriously changing the socio-cultural physiognomy of India. The hankering for "English medium schools" or "convent schools", the decline of our culture and art and the systematic excision from our original cultural identity; all promise to leave us permanently wounded. We are creating, in metropolitans, a whole generation of Indians, who have as little to do with Indian culture as polity has with politics. Our mother tongues have suddenly become these exotic commodities reserved for "cultural" occasions. We walk around with our English sensibilities acting too sophisticated for our own culture, estranged from our own identity, we "tolerate" it as a vestige from the past thus eroding its importance from generation to generation.

A lot of people seem to convince themselves with the argument that English is serving as the (pseudo) mother tongue for this new generation and that works perfectly fine since its just a medium of communication. A very naive thing to say. It is accepted worldwide that there is a close relation between the language and societal characteristics. Its time we shoved aside all that rhetoric about "global village" and experiencing other cultures. We are just rationalizing what could become a catastrophic error. Heaven knows that each community is different. The only thing one can admit about a global village is that we should have enough tolerance to co-exist peacefully with other cultures and learn from these other cultures. Here we are talking about a systematic decimation of our own culture.

I, unlike George Dubya, believe in genetics and evolution. If there's one thing I have learnt from it, its that my genetic makeup is trained in a certain way based on the generations before me. My reflexes, my impulses, my creativity: all of these are tuned to a certain wavelength. Language forms an integral part of this identity. Over the course of 50 years, we have switched not JUST a language, we have shifted lifestyles. The houses we build, the music we make, the art we create all of these have undergone a sea change. But there is nothing wrong with change, is there? Of course not. But there is something wrong with the nature of this change. We lull ourselves into a false sense of security by saying that this is just the merging of cultures while overlooking the serious problem at hand. By hankering for that English medium school, we are going one step closer to ensuring that the kid is never going to read any novel in its mother tongue. Its never going to find words in English to express the complex emotions its genes manufacture. Its probably never going to hear any Indian music or appreciate any Indian art. And chances are it might even feel a scorn for its own culture.

If you think, I am making a mountain out of a molehill, look around you. How many people in their middle ages have read one single book in any Indian language? How many have any appreciation of Indian classical music? How many have HEARD of Raja Ravi Verma? I am guessing not many. And these facts are not in the least bit surprising to me. How do you expect the generation to relate to its culture when you take away the medium?

If you are still not convinced, look at any Indian metropolitan. We seem to gloat over the fact that we almost look like any big city in the world. Is that what we want. This pathetic paucity of imagination where we build building after building, train hordes of men like machines to talk the talk so they can waste away in call centres. We replace our "amma " and "appa" with "mummy" and "daddy". We boo when we hear an invocation from the Vedas and cheer when we hear some sick artist produce an impression of Backstreet Boys. We stow away our kurtas 'cos its uncool and have no qualms about wearing torn jeans instead. We go ahead and buy MJ cds and groove to them while Bharatanatyam is just something you have to put up with when you want to please your grandparents. What would you attribute all this to? I'd say the answer is pretty clear. The British did a pretty darn good job!! They managed to impress on the Indian psyche, quite in Animal Farm style, " English good, Indian bad", "English cool , Indian uncool". We got our freedom alright but we forgot that we had signed away the rights to our identity as well. And once the wheels were rolling, there was no looking back. We now congratulate ourselves on our English speaking skills. It gives us software and call centre jobs, you see.

So what measures can we use to remedy the situation. The typical Indian Government's answer would be to introduce reservations or introduce compulsions of some sort. I am not so sure these measures work. The ideal thing of course, would be if every Indian makes sure we reinforce those thin strings which remain between us and our culture. But is that going to happen? I very seriously doubt it given the current situation.

16 Comments:

Blogger Prashanth said...

I like to think that language and culture are entirely different things. It's true that I prefer to speak in English rather than Telugu or Tamil and I don't know proper Hindi, but I do love our culture and everything that is Indian. I enjoyed studying Sanskrit; I like some forms of Indian music, even if I like rock better; I cook only Indian food and eat with my hands even when I eat out.

It is true, however, that the local language is necessary for absorbing many aspects of a culture; but I personally think you only need to be conversant, not proficient in Indian languages.

Still, I guess that if the trend continues, whole languages and aspects of our culture will be lost, and that is a VERY bad thing.

8:57 PM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

[intern] guess you are getting back into the habit of writing long comments.

Hey, absolutely nothing directed at particular people when I wrote that. I was just lamenting about the situation in general and I guess you agree that the general urban crowd is fairly oblivious of the richness of Indian culture. And looking at how well versed you are with Indian art and culture, I guess you should have written the blog in the first place!

Also, I dont think its enough if there a "few" people holding the flag of Indian culture. It has to be a widespread movement with everybody having something to do with it. We have to include Indian culture as part of "popular" culture. And (popular) Hindi movies are NOT the way to do it. In fact they are the most sick representations of Indian culture, which are sending us in the wrong direction if anything.

[prashanth] When I was correlating language and culture, I was just quoting the famous result by chomsky i think. He says that, what language you speak partially determines the way you think and hence has a profound impact on development of art and culture. He uses formal definitions like expressive power and also draws a parallel with computer languages.
Basically, he purports that , for example, the perfectly orchestrated and completely-specified-rules-and-regulations nature of the German language is not completely uncorrelated from their industrious nature and proficiency with anything mechanical on the one hand, and the great culture of classical composers on the other hand.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Prashanth said...

That seems to me an example of language reflecting culture and not vice versa... what do you say?

However, I do agree that I "think" in English and hence have never been completely accepted as a gult... and embracing something is not the same as being part of it.

Which brings me to another question: is embracing our own culture sufficient, or do you think it important that we all have our Indianness ingrained in us to the core?

10:34 AM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

[prashanth] When I think about this more and more, I keep getting into these circular loops: whether culture comes from what language you speak, or whether the culture you are part of has language as just one of its aspects.
I didn't reply for long cos I couldn't really explain my thoughts because I couldn't understand them myself!

[intern] Dont worry. I thought we were committed to squabbling remorselessly. About your question, I think I am a bit of both, or maybe a lot of both (lazy and arrogant, that is).

But dont call me lazy for not getting tagged by ramani. That crap is for three year olds.

1:38 PM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

[insign....] Yeah, I guess the fact that we were ruled by English speaking people for 200 years is why such a serious impact has been left upon us. Now why is this the problem only with India? Well, I dont think it is a problem only with India. Most countries in Africa and Asia liberated in the mid 20th century are still reeling from the impact and cant seem to find their place. They are being torn apart by various forces in various different directions leading to violence and ethnic conflict.

One good thing is that we have not had any violence in spite of the tremendous diversity. In fact, we look at the various commonalities between the various diverse cultures and co-exist peacefully. But I have a theory about why India, in particular is deeply scarred by this colonial experience. I think it has to do with india's independence struggle. Ours was a struggle from within. Most of our freedom fighters were part of the system they rebelled against and which they wanted to take over. So the process of uniting this struggle meant that you had to collect all the "educated" people from all over India and as a united front, approach the British and give them a series of logical arguments in their own "language" to push for independence. Thus most of our great freedom fighters or members of the Congress party were all English educated people. So when we got independent, we were being led by people with "english sensibilities". And under the British rule , the people who were rich were people who sympathized with the British and who were impressed by these foreigners, so much so that they decided to embrace this culture.

Thus coming out of independence, the first and second estates, so to say, of Indian people were all English educated. Further, to integrate this country of incredible diversity, English became a convenient tool to use. Thus there developed this parallel culture of Indians who were educated in English. And the final blow was dealt when, it became part of public perception that being English educated was directly correlated to success. Also, after the world war, the peace had led to the phenomenon of globalization and treating the whole world as your market. Indians educated in English were indeed successful since they could interact on equal terms with people of other countries. Also, this common language ensured that people from different parts of the country could work together.

A lot of these things have been of prime importance in India being effective globally in an economic sense but due to the unfortunate series of ill-timed events, our ancient is fading away and the only way we can recover is strive real hard but there is no fillip to do this since this will not cause your foreign exchange reserves to swell.

Anyway, all i have written above is just conjecture. So please fell free to tear it apart.

12:25 PM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

[intern] yeah. My mail id is hkowshik@gmail.com

(I am guessing you meant mail when you said talk)

1:54 PM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

Its so sad if he doesn't check the replies. Isn't he supposed to be looking our for golden words from us enlightened souls.
Well, now I'm rambling. Time to sleep!

10:09 PM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

[insig...] I dont think its about foreign literature invading your culture. Its that we dont give ourselves a good chance of appreciating or preserving the culture if we dont preserve the language. Or at least thats what I think

yeah. I can understand the viewpoint about just letting things take shape themselves. If a culture dies out, so be it. We could abandon ourselves to this detached mindset. But it somehow feels weird. At some level its the same as saying, let tigers/leopards die out, or, so what if the europeans wiped out native americans. You could say survival is the fittest and all that. But something gives me the feeeling that this is somehow wrong. Yeah. But there is really no logical argument I can think of against this school of thought.

9:12 PM  
Blogger doppelganger said...

Not really tongue tied. Just brain dead. Cant think of anything interesting to say.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Divster said...

can i say can i say can i say?

Everything starts from ur house. This culture that we talk about and we want to preserve starts right from ur first social set-up called "FAMILY".
We know the different stages in our social life right? family, then school, then workplace etc. But, lets not forget Family stays throughout all these phases. Culture is evoked into u by ur parents.

"Dont wear that tummy showing churidhar, put ur palms together in front of God, touch the feet of elder people." All comes from what ur family taught u.

At no point will I raise my finger at the institutions or at our social outlook which seems to make English cool and Indian uncool. All that is because ur not aware enough abt ur culture. And that is because you havent learnt and experienced it in ur family! So, before we go to other sources like Government to change the ideas of our young Indian folk, lets look up to a better and faster means..our ELDERS!

I can be a good proof for this. I hav hardly lived in India, but i am so much aware of our culture because of the parents upbringing! I am entwined into the modern culture of Europe as much as an European. But, I am able to realize the importance of our mother-tongue now. Look at UK INDIPOP singers. JaySan sings in English, but JUGGY D sings only in Punjabi. Its time these guys start bringing our typical Punjabi dhol music out there for millions to hear. This is a start I believe...

11:07 PM  
Blogger Divster said...

HEHE!
U know that is jus so hillarious!
I noticed the mistake once i posted it..;-)
Well now is ur chance to attain fame for ur 'bathroom singing' skills.

(kiddin...)

8:09 AM  
Blogger InAustin said...

"socio-cultural physiognomy"

If I hadn't prepared for GRE I would have needed to look that up :)


Most of us think in English most of the time. There are times when one is with those that speak one's mother-tongue and then think in the vernacular too. But that is rare since we usually interact with such a culturally diverse set of people.

2:35 PM  
Blogger TenG said...

hey tops,
still writing cock i see :D

4:00 AM  
Blogger Arjun said...

Hey Topa, nice post that.

Haven't blogged in ages, but getting back to reading some and yours seems well worth it :-)

Some interesting issues of course, since I'm definitely in the 'lost' lot that gets mother tongue-tied often. A lot of the IIT gang too at that, so much so that I've extricated myself from many situations by drawing differences between "mother tongue" and "native tongue". Add to that the fact that many people have parents from different linguistic backgrounds, it makes the mix all the more heady (although, it should be 'rich' technically speaking).

Another point:
Have heard all these arguments before of the British Raj, and how the land of the Kamasutra is now that of the Where's-your-dupatta? But what really boils my noodle (and rankles it to a certain extent), is that Nehru gave his independence speech in english. Food for thought, no doubt.

And a language having much to do with your psyche is no doubt true, it does deeply influence (usually subversively) our 'cultural' leanings.

Famous case in point: our historians being brahmins were well put-out to find a 'golden' rennaissance age in Indian history so as not to feel inferior.

What do they come up with? We now see the famous "golden rule of the cholas" in every Indian history textbook.

A result very much of the brahminnical (is that how it's spelt?) hegemony of those days... since it completely downplays the much superior rule of the kshatriya-bases Mauryan empire - both politically and logistically. The arthashaastra came out of it, for crying out loud.

Lots more of these examples, but little to help with the contemporary cultural dichotomy. Esp with bollywood making billions and schools receiving a fraction of that amount. Art schools not even that.

Was thinking of writing a piece about it sometime, maybe I should.

But anyway, how's it going?

4:06 PM  
Blogger Naresh said...

topa....
nice post.its quite true that we Indians are dealing with this problem more so, as most humans we have perfected the art of wearing a cosmetic identity which sounds but isn't so sophisticated in the true sense.
we do need a movement to make a change ..in our adopted culture(here...i do speak to say that language is a part of our culture) which sadly runs into a circular logic problem,unless we ban english in india. you must have read the apathy of the people who dont speak kannada in karnataka,when the gowda's government imposed compulsory kannada medium in schools.
.......sadly even the "languages act of india" has different views in india(tamil nadu an exception, it regards).
we humans are so used having an identity to speak for us...that many of us fear getting lost in the western world ...and therby learning a western language makes us feel comfortable with our identity thus helping ourselves defend our self-esteem....lots of thoughts goin on...in a hurry now..will talk smtime else...
p.s: i hope you excuse me for not using words not in my GREy matter.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Sriiiii said...

I fully agree with that statement of urs that "Bharatanatyam is just something you have to put up with when you want to please your grandparents" Thats so true. I'm myself a fully trained dancer, trained from past 20 yrs almost, and i still hear the grandparents thing from the newbies when i ask them what made them join the class. Its a great article that you have written

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home